Pages

March 13, 2014

DC No. 131: Connections


March 16, 2014, marks the 3rd TARC Spring Thaw 6 Hour, a trail race I designed and direct to raise money for local land organizations like A.V.I.S., Andover Trails Committee, and the Bay Circuit Alliance. On many levels this event is about introducing, nurturing and appreciating our connections —to each other, to the outdoors, to environmental stewardship, to spirit, will and imagination.

Each year I make a commemorative art print for both runners and volunteers. Tonight I completed printing an edition of 120 relief prints. I get giddy thinking about giving them to participants as a way of connecting my love of art to my love of the woods and trail running. The prints are a "thank you" to the runners and volunteers who help make the event possible.



The relief printmaking process is a series of connections.  By nature of its multiplicity, images in an edition are intended to be shared. The process of printing relies on connecting ideas and tools to materials:
 


Inspired by a friend's drawing video, I decided to show some of my printing process. Link to a Sunny Spot  and enjoy more interpretations on the Drawing Challenge theme of connections.


11 comments:

Dan said...

An RDs work is never done!

Kristen Donegan said...

this is awesome Emily- and I think your right on with the printmaking connection- love the video :)
and of course the image is sweet! makes me wish I was a better runner!
Hope you have a great race and weekend!!
Thanks for playing along :)

Carole Reid said...

Interesting how you have connected through making the prints and by recording the printing process. I've watched the video at least 4 times on Facebook and again here. Quite addictive really!

Veronica Roth said...

It's fantastic that you showed your printing process. Love your burnisher. Robert made me one on his lathe out of a large piece of brass. I have to get back to linocuts. Now to find the time. Hope your weekend is lovely.

Patrice A. said...

;^))

fine piece of art!
i LOVE making prints
and have done so the last week
making postcards on my beloved
miss Stuttgart

i like the connections in your post
and the glimses of your workspace

Patrice A.

Tammie Lee said...

such a generous gift you create and give! Really enjoyed watching your print making process! Thank you for sharing that.

Leena said...

Thank you for the very informative post:) and that is a wonderful print! Leena

Cindi said...

How nice that you do this--a lovely tradition. And traditions are, of course, connections!

Kangstah said...

My god, Trespas, this could be a scene from a Wes Anderson movie. Why can't my prints turn out like that?

nadine paduart said...

wow!
that printing process!
amazing!!! it's looking really easy too.
well done on the organizing and the connecting. your are brave. and loving! n♥

Patrice A. said...

i am the host this week
and hope you will join

x