Pages

February 13, 2013

Two Broadsides in "Black Ink" at the Nave Gallery Annex

Two recent broadsides to be exhibited in "Black Ink: Works on Paper" at the Nave Gallery Annex in Davis Square, Somerville, Mass.

Show Dates:

Thursday, February 21 - Friday, March 8, 2013

Closing: Friday, March 8 (time: tba)

With the title BLACK INK, how could I not submit prints for consideration? I stumbled on this call-to artists four days before the submission deadline and promptly shifted into high gear. I refined my woodcut, printed the circular birch plywood plate, and scanned three finished prints for on-line submission.  

Juror, Carolyn Muskat, of Muskat Studios, selected two of my three pieces for the show. I am thrilled and looking forward to viewing her other choices and the meeting, Ted Ollier and company of The Nave Gallery.

"Shadow," recently exhibited in "All Pi-Ed Up: Experiments in Letterpress Broadsides" at The Sharon Arts Gallery (Peterborough, NH), now travels to the NAVE.

"Shadow," Linoleum Relief and Letterpress, 14 x 12 ins., 2012 


"Untitled," a woodcut & letterpress broadside (mash up of old and new) is also in Black Ink.

"Untitled," Woodcut and Letterpress, 10 x 10 ins.,  2013

Years ago, I set and printed the letterpress type for this quote and put it away—unfinished and incomplete. It hibernated in my flat files until I heard it calling with clarity and conviction. Sometimes it takes years to gain perspective on a visual idea; I believe the text and image dialogue is now complete.

The concept "Black Ink" evokes permanence, a pledge defying doubt, real and true. I see now how both of these prints challenge the premise.

  Next to Redbones BBQ in Davis Square!


3 comments:

renilde said...

fine work Emily!

Kristen Donegan said...

How exciting!! I love that shadow print...and you can get some good bbq after the opening ;)

Unknown said...

Congratulations Emily! Strong statements these.

-sus