Pages

February 24, 2013

DC No. 94: Glass

Boro beads by Emily Trespas Summer 2012 

Glass
At the mention of this word, I think of my first creative experience with glass . . . film. 

For many childhood birthday parties my father checked out a special film from our local library and played it on a projector for our guests. It was Bert Haanstra's, 1958 Dutch short documentary, Glas.

Please enjoy this timeless film documentary here: Bert Haanstra's Glas (on YouTube).


Since then my love of glass certainly continued into the 1990's from exploring a slumping and fusing class at Serviente Glass Studios (Ithaca, NY) to a weekend workshop at the North Bennet Street School (Boston, MA). Meeting artist Dale Chihuly years ago at the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, MA, also contributed to my love of the medium.

This past summer (2012) I returned to the glass studio for a wonderful class at the Sharon Art Center in Sharon, NH with artist Janet Duchesneau.  
Some more of my boro beads: I love frit!
Over many hours and several weeks I made handfuls of glass beads from boroscilicate glass rods. Needless to say....earrings are on the way!
 More of my beads— little cosmos to behold
Many many thanks to Susan Christensen for hosting this week's drawing challenge. Her blog Flying Dog Studio Design Wall offers many interpretations of the theme, Glass, by her and other talented artists. 

My favorite glass painting jar:





10 comments:

Jordan said...

What an awesome video. I could watch that all day. Great soundtrack too.

And purty beads

mano said...

interesting film with great music, really timeless!
I love your boro beads very much, so beautiful colors!

Unknown said...

Hi, Emily - I didn't know of your bead work - wow, excellent! So glad you posted to this challenge. I have added your name to the list over at my place. That painting jar - what colors! -sus

renilde said...

great post on glass Emily, Bert Haanstra's film is timeless indeed( i once saw a film of his 'Dokter Pulder zaait papavers', in that film a man sows his complete garden with poppies, that image was so striking i sowed them too, a very large patch in my previous garden, the effect was stunning :)
very original idea of your father to show such documentary.
your glass beads, the colors, 'little cosmos to behold' indeed, lovely, x

roberto M. said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful film (beautiful music), I realize that, somehow, to make glass objects, is a bit like making music, (maybe close, playing the trumpet)
Thanks again, very good job congratulations.:)

Stefanie Seltner said...

this is a great and rich post, thank you!
I´m going to watch the movie again later with my children. Beautiful beads! And yes, the last glass is my favorite - of cause!
x Stefanie

Kristen Donegan said...

these are beautiful beads Emily! I have always wanted to learn how to blow glass- it looks intimidating and like I might mesmerize myself with it's consistency only to worry about breaking it at the end.

Carole Reid said...

Hi EMily, your glass boro beads are stunning! I can't quite imagine blowing glass while smoking a pipe....
Thanks for posting this video.

tanïa said...

Lovely glass beads, so diverse and beautiful! But I also love your favourite painting glass. Great colours, too!

Cindi said...

What a marvelous film--a perfect blend of music and motion! Your dad must be a most interesting person to have selected this for you.

I have always been fascinated by glass; and have enjoyed visiting the Tacoma glass museum where there is a cornucopia of Chihuly glass encased in glass, over the walkway. It is a wash of color in what can often be a rainy and gray landscape.

Beautiful beads and earrings!